pick up sticks

About
My Photo
Name: knitabulous
Location: Mt Keira, New South Wales, Australia

Free Patterns
Sideways Scallop Edged Scarf

Sideways Lace Scarf


Finished Items
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called finally finished. Make your own badge here.
Knitting Along

< < Previous | List Next>










<P} L | R |  J |  N>
Ringsurf
Knitting Alone
Knitspot Morning Glory Wrap Frost Flowers and Leaves Pomatomus Socks One Day
Sarcelle A different Phildar swing jacket - No 23A Donyale Socks

Secret Pal 5 Questionnaire

30 May 2005

Hello Secret Pal of mine who may be visiting here any day now...
If you don't feel like reading the whole questionnaire I shall let you off the hook by sharing a few little secrets with you. Did you know Knitpicks don't deliver to Australia? Isn't that a tragedy? And when I was in the US in my twenties I became addicted to carmex lip balm but they don't have that in Australia either. And we don't have kool-aid.


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I don't like this term (the snob part really bugs me as I am very egalitarian) but I guess if the truth be known I just am not that into acrylics. I don't know what Red Heart or Lion Brand yarns are like because they don't have them in Australia. I don't mind a bit of rayon for sheen and drape but I generally only buy natural fibres/blends.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I don't spin because I don't think I have time for another craft - but maybe one day. I do crochet and I do like it.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
No yarn-related allergies.

4. How long have you been knitting?
Maybe three years?


5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have a knitpicks wish list, and I am working on a froogle wish list but I can't work out how to do it. I have trouble asking for things really, I didn't even make a gift list for my wedding.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Sandalwood, lily of the valley, lilacs and herby scents - I like florals the most.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
No, I drink too much for a sweet tooth (naughty me!)- I am a cheese freak. That's not to say I don't appreciate a good truffle, but I just don't crave chocolate.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Crochet, knitting and yarn pretty much fill all the craft gaps in my life.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Love music, MP3 ok. I like clever/sad lyrics and guitars and pianos. REM, Tori Amos, Billy Bragg, Norah Jones, Ben Lee, Coldplay. And I love modern country music. I love a good sad song to sing along to in the car.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I really can't stand orange or yellow. But I love cool reds, bluey greens, and greys. I think I tend not to like warm colours.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Husband, two children (6 and 4) and no pets. I live on the East Coast of Australia.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
In my dream I am too rich and too thin, living in a French country farmhouse with alpacas and olives out the back. There is no poverty or starvation in the world and all politicians are working for the good of the country they serve.

In this dream I am the editor of a high-end homewares magazine and everyone sends me samples of beauty products and clothes and artisanal homewares and deli items and crates of champagne. I knit nothing but silk/merino or silk/alpaca blends and churn out Debbie Bliss and Rowan garments which I donate to charity.

There is no housework in this dream (for anyone). And I drink a lot of champagne.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I have recently fallen in love with the wool peddler's - andromeda - I would like to try knitpicks yarns but they don't ship to Australia. If it's smooth or laceweight or variegated I'll love it.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I can find a project for everything if I had to, but I don't like ribbon yarns (too twisty), ladder yarns (I stick my needles through the holes) or yarns that split (because they split).

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I am really into lacey shawls and shrugs and wrappy things at the present moment (it's winter here) - I would love to try any of the lace scarf patterns from heartstrings as I love lace knitting and challenge.

I welcome any suggestions for using leftover yarn, I have seen dishcloths a bit on the net but we don't really make them over here so I am a bit confused as to what exactly they would be used for. Do you wet them in the washing up? Or are they used for drying dishes?

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don't like finishing off or seaming so I like socks and shawls.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Rare Yarns versatile wrap vest (I'm lagging in a knitalong), socks for everyone, a cardigan for my niece (I'm currectly knitting that only in my head though so it doesn't count)

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I can't wear them without feeling either cheap or like an out of date fashion victim. The jury's out on whether I like other people in them. Except maybe silk-chiffon ones worn over swimsuits on supermodels, but not for me. The caftan is a far superior garment, imho.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Don't have a preference.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I'm not fussy.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
I knit my first sock about three months ago - it was a total disaster but I have since improved, and I like knitting socks now.

22. How did you learn to knit?
My grandmother taught me when I was about 7 or 8.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
A crochet blanket that is coming on to 3 years old now.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Um, um , I like dogs. And butterflies. This question baffles me really.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas - all the food, the pressies, the merry making, and especially the office parties!

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Only yarn and ufo's.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Interweave Knits.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I don't own any modern knitting books at all! I am searching for one of those old fashioned knitting stitch guides that some lucky people pick up for $2 at markets.


Add to Technorati Favorites
The endless craft magazine
Previous Posts
List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by knitabulous.
[Previous|Next|Random Site|List Sites]

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Design by
MDesigns