pick up sticks

About
My Photo
Name: knitabulous
Location: Mt Keira, New South Wales, Australia

Free Patterns
Sideways Scallop Edged Scarf

Sideways Lace Scarf


Finished Items
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called finally finished. Make your own badge here.
Knitting Along

< < Previous | List Next>










<P} L | R |  J |  N>
Ringsurf
Knitting Alone
Knitspot Morning Glory Wrap Frost Flowers and Leaves Pomatomus Socks One Day
Sarcelle A different Phildar swing jacket - No 23A Donyale Socks

All veges, all the time

10 Sept 2007

I'm trying on a new attitude - adopted somewhat from that tool Jamie Oliver - with his filthy little stubby fingers and stupid lisp.

This spring and summer, we're going to try not to consider our vegetables to be the accompaniment - the meal being the meat or the starch. We're going to consider the vegetable to be the meal, occasionally eschewing the starch and the meat altogether.


Whilst adopting this, I've noticed something about the kids eating behaviour that suprises me, but I love love love. It appears that my kids like their veges! They might be so-so at school, ignore every thing I say, treat the house like a tip and me like a garbage bin, but they love their veges!

I have succeeded as a mother. My work is done.

Now I shall retire to the couch with my knitting.

I've been scouring the foodblogs and recipe sites for vegetable dishes that I plonk on the table and say - 'that's it'. They always say 'where's the rest of the dinner?' and sometimes there is more, but I've been really focussing on the beauty of the vegetable.

Here's two favourites so far - good enough for dinner on their own.

MARTHA STEWART (not actually Martha Stewart)

Zucchini and Almonds - trust me, it's beautiful. I have no mandolin (attention family - birthday present hint alert!) I use real butter, heated up to nut brown, I pan fry the almonds and take them out, put the zuke in, and stir fry a few minutes, toss the almonds back on and squeeze lemon juice. Beautiful.


VERSUS


MARGE SIMPSON
From some redneck recipe site where everything calls for a package of this, a can of that. There's a recipe for guacamole that proudly boasts - no taco seasoning required - I wouldn't put taco seasoning in guacamole in a fit. Anyhow, the whole cauliflower is a bit excessive for my family of four, so I did half. I also kind of improvised on the avocado mix a little - adding cheese. It was really really good - good enough for dinner on it's own.


Add to Technorati Favorites
The endless craft magazine
Previous Posts
List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by knitabulous.
[Previous|Next|Random Site|List Sites]

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Design by
MDesigns