pick up sticks

About
My Photo
Name: knitabulous
Location: Mt Keira, New South Wales, Australia

Free Patterns
Sideways Scallop Edged Scarf

Sideways Lace Scarf


Finished Items
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called finally finished. Make your own badge here.
Knitting Along

< < Previous | List Next>










<P} L | R |  J |  N>
Ringsurf
Knitting Alone
Knitspot Morning Glory Wrap Frost Flowers and Leaves Pomatomus Socks One Day
Sarcelle A different Phildar swing jacket - No 23A Donyale Socks

Mulesing

29 Mar 2007

I don't believe in docking dogs.

However, I'm not so sure about mulesing.

What I do know about mulesing is that it ain't pretty, but if it isn't practiced, millions of sheep a year would be eaten alive from the inside out by maggots. I can't imagine a worse suffering for an animal, can you?

I beleive that a lot of the pressure being put on the Australian Wool Industry bodies from the international community is from people who really don't know that to ban mulesing without a viable alternative would lead to 85% of sheep in Australia dying from flystrike.

And what I do know about farmers is that in my experience, they do care about the welfare of their animals, even if it is motivated by monetary gain.

What I think I do know (I can only go by what I've read and heard in the media - and that's all manipulated to sell a point of view) is that there are no viable alternatives at the present time, although there is a lot of research being carried out to try and develop a practical alternative.

One of the alternatives is a protein which stops the growth of wool around the area affected by flystrike.

When an alternative is available, Australian farmers will use it.

Am I being naiive? If you know more about mulesing (I bet you do Lara) then tell me, please, because I'd like to be able to see a balanced view.


Add to Technorati Favorites
The endless craft magazine
Previous Posts
List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by knitabulous.
[Previous|Next|Random Site|List Sites]

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Design by
MDesigns