pick up sticks

About
My Photo
Name: knitabulous
Location: Mt Keira, New South Wales, Australia

Free Patterns
Sideways Scallop Edged Scarf

Sideways Lace Scarf


Finished Items
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called finally finished. Make your own badge here.
Knitting Along

< < Previous | List Next>










<P} L | R |  J |  N>
Ringsurf
Knitting Alone
Knitspot Morning Glory Wrap Frost Flowers and Leaves Pomatomus Socks One Day
Sarcelle A different Phildar swing jacket - No 23A Donyale Socks

This is it! And this time I know it's for real

28 Nov 2006

I am in love. This time it's for real. I decided on a pattern for the Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. And, when I've finished knitting it, I'm going to torture it.

Allow me to explain:

The following photo shows how the silk looks straight from the needles. See how it fuzzes around the edges? It's a single strand, it's just the nature of the beast. Heaven knows how anyone could wear a garment made of this stuff, by the time you'd finished knitting it, it would be pilled to buggery just from sitting in your lap and being turned over. Still, it's a joy to knit with, so you can't have everything I suppose.



I took it upstairs and gave it the iron on the hottest setting. Straight on the silk. Even held it down for a while. Honestly, it was not a delicate operation. Just whack it on and push it forwards and backwards as though you were ironing a cotton shirt.


Voila! Look what happens to the silk, the stitch definition. Now it looks like beaten copper.


I was fully aware of this yarn's shortcomings when I bought it anyway - so I was prepared for it. I knew I was going to iron it flat. I was prepared for the trade-off because that single strand of silk slips through your fingers like, umm, like, well, like SILK! It's so light and smooth, truly it's like knitting with magic. And the smell, I'm suprised no-one else seems to have mentioned it to my knowledge. The smell of fresh silk, I just adore it. It's so organic, so distinctive, so SMELLY! Sensitive flower type girls might find it a bit off, but this gutsy, tough Aussie chick loves it.

And, like a cheesy tv show, do you want to see the bloopers? I took three shots of the before situation of the WRONG SIDE of the knitting before I realised. Duh. (Still, even the wrong side looks alright doesn't i?)


Add to Technorati Favorites
The endless craft magazine
Previous Posts
List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by knitabulous.
[Previous|Next|Random Site|List Sites]

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Design by
MDesigns