pick up sticks

About
My Photo
Name: knitabulous
Location: Mt Keira, New South Wales, Australia

Free Patterns
Sideways Scallop Edged Scarf

Sideways Lace Scarf


Finished Items
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called finally finished. Make your own badge here.
Knitting Along

< < Previous | List Next>










<P} L | R |  J |  N>
Ringsurf
Knitting Alone
Knitspot Morning Glory Wrap Frost Flowers and Leaves Pomatomus Socks One Day
Sarcelle A different Phildar swing jacket - No 23A Donyale Socks

Look ma I tied my own two-laces!

13 Mar 2006




As I've mentioned, I'm knitting the shetland sampler stole from A Gathering of Lace. I started it on some swtc soysilk infinity. I think 2.25mm needles. There isn't any give in this yarn (thread?) at all, however it is a beautiful creamy colour. I loved how it was coming out.

Then, somewhere early in the second repeat, it began to go awry. I didn't notice it at first, then I fudged a little, then I went back with a crochet hook and duplicate stitched to try and hide it...you know where this is going don't you. You can only get so far on fudged lace before it gets irrepairable. Then, you have to decide whether to frog back a few rows, carry on regardless or just abandon the whole effing thing.

I went for the latter, and started again using zephyr. 3.25mm needles this time. Isn't it strange how yarn thickness feels based on the relativity of what you were knitting previously? This zephyr, while technically a laceweight, felt like some sort of bulky slub compared with the infinity. Anyhow, apart from that, which I didn't love, it was so much easier to knit up. Quick, few mistakes, will be warm, will block crisply, and a nice colour too. Won't be able to draw it through my wedding ring.

But I really really love the gossamer-like fabric of the soysilk. Will need to frog back to end of first repeat, there's no lifeline, I'm not that experienced with that sort of thing and am more than a little scared of the prospect. Will take me longer, won't be that wearable and will probably be more of a table runner in the end. Will be able to draw it through my wedding ring.

What to do? What to do?



Knitalong link here.
Soysilk infinity link here.
Zephyr teal link here.
Haven't seen A Gathering of Lace? JFGI


Add to Technorati Favorites
The endless craft magazine
Previous Posts
List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by knitabulous.
[Previous|Next|Random Site|List Sites]

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Design by
MDesigns