pick up sticks

About
My Photo
Name: knitabulous
Location: Mt Keira, New South Wales, Australia

Free Patterns
Sideways Scallop Edged Scarf

Sideways Lace Scarf


Finished Items
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called finally finished. Make your own badge here.
Knitting Along

< < Previous | List Next>










<P} L | R |  J |  N>
Ringsurf
Knitting Alone
Knitspot Morning Glory Wrap Frost Flowers and Leaves Pomatomus Socks One Day
Sarcelle A different Phildar swing jacket - No 23A Donyale Socks

"I'm worried about how much time you spend on your craft"

2 Feb 2006

So I'm on the phone to my sister telling her about Blair's first day at school.

I say "so I enrolled in a quilting class, what do you think about that?"

She replied solemnly "I am concerned about how much time you spend on craft".

This raises a few issues to me, and I'm wondering whether they are familiar to you or not.

Firstly, do you feel kind of guilty about how much time you actually spend surfing the craft blogs? I do. I think I spend waaayy too much time reading about the lives of total strangers, to whom I have developed quite a strong affection. Sometimes I think my blog friends (and that includes the ones I never comment on) are my real friends, and my real friends don't know me at all.

This is of course the great internet paradox, they thought it would robotise us all, but they didn't account for all the humanity out there. In reality, the internet is bringing strangers together. However in my case I think it could be at the expense of a richer family life.

Secondly, do people not take your craft seriously enough for your liking?

I have only been knitting for about three years, and really last February was the first time I had ever seen a knit blog. Almost none of my real friends give a rats about my knitting. My very close friend even laughs in my face - "you and your granny knitting" she says - it's an eccentricity they put up with. As I have said before, if I knit in front of my mum or my sister it actually makes them feel angry at me, something I find quite bemusing. Even when I have articles published in the knitting magazines, they roll their eyes and read them under sufferance.

I found myself making excuses to my sister. "I don't knit much at all during the day" I said, "I knit at night after the kids are in bed". This is true mostly - unless of course I am meeting my knitting friends for lunch or coffee (and they're my FAVOURITE days of course).

Maybe I do knit too much, as my mother and sister are convinced. I certainly am quite obsessed with internet yarn stores and craft blogs. I am amassing a yarn stash, I have enough projects planned in the future to take up several years of night knitting.

Hmmm. This has got me thinking.

I can stop any time I want.


Asolutely great post about magic and handmade clothes over at whip up. Head on over and enjoy yourself.


Add to Technorati Favorites
The endless craft magazine
Previous Posts
List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by knitabulous.
[Previous|Next|Random Site|List Sites]

Credits

Powered by Blogger

Design by
MDesigns